Last year millions of Americans recognized that they had a hair loss problem. Many of them were women. If you were one of them, then I have great news for you. I am a Non-Surgical Hair Replacement Specialist. It’s really much simpler than it sounds: ’Non-Surgical’ means that nothing that I do is invasive or involves surgery. ‘Hair Replacement’ means that hair is missing, so we can add to it, or cover the existing hair with a thicker more normal looking amount.
Most people, upon recognition of hair loss, go to visit their physician or naturopath. That’s a good thing because, like chest pain, hair loss can be a much milder indication that something else can be wrong. Your physician or natural practitioner can conduct testing to determine what. He or she can also answer a lot of your questions regarding what causes hair loss, and give you information about medical options such as Hair Transplantation or vitamin and mineral supplements. But if surgery or medications such as Rogaine or Propecia are of no interest to you, then you need to be aware of what alternatives are available to you, that I can provide to you.
Hair loss affects woman in varying degrees, but if you went as far as to see your doctor, then I’d bet that it bothers you enough to check out your options.
Hair Loss can be caused by many, many things:
Chemotherapy is a very common well known cause of hair loss in women. This type is usually temporary for a period of months to a little over a year. However, many women are experiencing prolonged or permanent hair loss from certain chemotherapy drugs. Wigs work well in these situations because the hair loss from chemotherapy is usually profuse enough to warrant wearing a full wig. Cranial Prostheses or Full Wigs are also easy to use and care for, which is important for recovering patients. Now, there is a chance that if radiation treatments were used on the area of the head where hair grows, the affected area may not grow back. But that’s alright, as a smaller piece can be used to fill in. Full wigs can also be easy to care for by older women or those with physical impairments.
Alopecia is hair loss that can be caused by such things as:
- Heredity - it runs in your family
- Stress – no kidding, this is a big cause of hair loss!
- Illness and Medication side effects
- Poor nutrition, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, large weight loss, gastric bypass surgery
- Hormonal Imbalances, menopause, child birth
- Diseases or Health Conditions such as Lupus can cause hair loss
Alopecia can cause hair to be missing in a few different ways. One would be diffused thinning out all over the scalp area; another would be in patches or spots with hair missing throughout the scalp area, called Alopecia Areata. Other types of Alopecia are called Androgenetic Alopecia, Alopeica Totalis, Alopecia Universalis,Lichen Pilar Polaris, Cicatrial Alopecia, Anagen Effluvium and Telogen Effluvium.
For situations like those named above, there are many solutions:
- Hair pieces with solid bases are used when there’s not enough hair to look ‘normal’. So a solid base piece attempts to replace the hair completely in any given area.
- Hair Extensions or Volumizers are designed to add length and/or volume. These can be a dream come true for women who have fine thin hair that just won’t seem to grow as long or as thick as they want it to. These are usually done with human hair and are virtually undetectable when finished and styled.
- Hair pieces called Integrations or open base hair pieces are ‘spider web’ looking structures with hair attached, that allow the wearer to bring their own existing hair through the openings in the base.
The only truly permanent method of hair replacement is surgical, and sometimes they don’t even take well. The methods mentioned in this article are either temporary (removed and replaced by the wearer) or semi-permanent (removed and replaced by the technician).
All of these methods, if cared for properly, are 100% safe. They provide an immediate solution to hair loss by ‘masking’ the problem and allowing the wearer to have the physical appearance that they wish. Many times, if something like stress is the cause of the hair loss, a non surgical solution helps to alleviate the stress of looking in a mirror every day and being unhappy with what you’re seeing.
I hope now that you realize if you’re experiencing hair loss that you’re not alone! I also hope that you’ve learned something that could be helpful to yourself or a woman you know.
TELL A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER..SHE’LL BE GLAD YOU DID!